In the case of an earthquake please follow the provided guidelines.
- Find out earthquake history of area.
- Conduct earthquake drill.
- Be prepared for aftershocks; possible tsunami (coastal areas).
- Place large, heavy, breakable objects on lower shelves.
- Put latches on cabinets.
- Fasten shelves, water heaters, large appliances to wall studs.
- Anchor overhead lighting fixtures.
- Repair poor electrical/plumbing connections, large cracks in plaster.
- Install bracing system for mobile homes, awnings.
- Move beds from windows; do not hang pictures, mirrors over beds.
- Keep flashlight and shoes by bed.
- Drop, cover and hold on: crouch in a safe place (under sturdy table or kneel next to interior wall) cover head until quake stops.
- If your are inside then stay inside, if you are outside then stay outside.
- Move away from buildings, street lights, utility wires
- Do not rush for the doorway of a crowded place, just take cover.
- In a high-rise building: stay on same floor, do not use elevator, be prepared for alarm/sprinkler systems to activate.
- If driving do not stop vehicle under bridges, overpasses, overhead power lines; pull over as soon as possible; stay in vehicle.
- Beware of hanging plants, wall hangings, falling furniture.
- Be prepared for aftershocks.