The Town of Apex (Solarize Apex) is a community partner of Solarize the Triangle, a community-based group-purchasing program for solar energy, battery storage, and other clean-energy technologies. The program aims to help Triangle homeowners, businesses, and nonprofits become more resilient, reduce energy expenses, and save on the cost of renewable-energy systems by obtaining volume discounts on materials and installation services. The more property owners that purchase renewable energy systems, the lower the price for all buyers!
Solarize the Triangle is led by TJCOG through the Triangle Sustainability Partnership and Solar Crowdsource, a group of local governments, nonprofits, and advocates working to make solar power more affordable and accessible in the Triangle.
Goals of the Solarize Apex campaign:
- Make solar energy more accessible: vetted materials, pricing, and installation services through a competitive bid process;
- Make solar energy more affordable: lower the cost of solar energy through the power of group-purchasing and reduced acquisition costs;
- Reduce energy burden for low- to moderate-income (LMI) families: further buy down upfront cost for low- and moderate-income families;
- Increase clean-energy education and community engagement: widespread community engagement, education, and outreach activities through town hall meetings, workshops, solar tours, and outreach through local community groups and events;
- Promote solar friendly policies: encourage local governments to adopt streamlined solar energy permitting policies and fair distributed generation policies;
- Give back to the community: donate a solar energy system to a local nonprofit organization(s); and
- Make a lasting impact: accelerate the deployment of solar energy installations in a way that can be sustained beyond the timeframe of the Solarize the Triangle campaign.
Learn more at www.solarizeapex.org
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I eligible to utilize the Solarize the Triangle program to save money on solar? Yes, if your home or business is located within the corporate limits of Apex. Nearly 1,000 of your neighbors around the Triangle have expressed interest in adding rooftop solar arrays to their homes or businesses through this program.
- What if I'm not yet ready to commit but want to learn more? Start with a free site evaluation of your home from a pre-selected local solar expert, Yes Solar Solutions - no upfront cost, pressure, or obligation to purchase. Simply submit your interest form to see if this program and solar are a good fit for you.
- How does Solarize the Triangle make purchasing solar more affordable? Solarize the Triangle utilizes group-purchasing to reduce costs for installation and materials on solar energy, battery storage, and other clean-energy technologies. So, as more people express interest in purchasing through this program, the more affordable the program becomes as more materials can be purchased through a bulk discount. Currently, interested participants can save up to 25% on new solar arrays through this program.
- I'm excited to save money. Will I also be helping our environment? Yes, every year you have solar, you avoid emitting harmful greenhouse gasses, which is equivalent to saving over 100 mature trees! Solar power is considered a renewable energy, a cleaner alternative to traditional, non-renewable sources that produce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions which are harmful to people and our planet. The sun produces energetic particles called photons and sends them through Earth's atmosphere, and with technology like solar photovoltaic (PV) arrays, we can capture those photons and use them for our power needs! Sunlight (photons) makes contact with a solar panel in an array to produce direct current (DC) electricity. The DC electricity is then sent to an inverter and converted into alternating current (AC) electricity. The AC electricity can be used instantly on the premises or transferred onto the grid. Solar energy is renewable because its source is naturally replenished and does not run out, and it's clean because it improves environmental quality by reducing carbon emissions and air pollution.
- When is the deadline to submit an interest form for this program? The enrollment deadline is December 31, 2022.
- If I purchase solar, do I get a rebate on my monthly utility bill? You won't see a change on your monthly bill, but you are eligible for a 30% Solar Tax Credit. With the recent adoption of the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, the Credit is available for residential and commercial solar installations as well as stand-alone battery storage. You'll see this money returned right back to you on your tax return. This credit is in additional to the discount you will receive through the Solarize program. To learn more about new incentives and rebates in North Carolina for solar, electric vehicles, energy efficiency, and more, please visit the White House State Fact Sheet page.
- How is Apex making it easier to go solar? Apex is a SolSmart Gold community, meaning that our Town achieved a number of criteria making it faster, easier, and more affordable for our community to go solar. This includes an online permitting checklist to increase transparency for community members and solar installers, as well as the elimination of permitting and inspection fees for solar PV installation. To learn more and access a list of resources, please visit the Town's Solar page. The Town of Apex is working towards a goal of 100% Clean Energy by 2050 for Town Operations, and currently has nine facilities installed with rooftop solar.