Bee City Committee
Apex is a Bee City USA!
In September 2020, the Town of Apex joined only 19 other North Carolina municipalities in receiving Bee City USA status. The Bee City USA program endorses a set of commitments, defined in a resolution, for creating sustainable habitats for native pollinators, which are vital to feeding the planet.
The Bee City Committee is a group of appointed citizens who represent the voice of the citizen as it relates to fostering an ongoing dialogue in Apex to raise awareness of the role native pollinators play in our community and what each of us can do to provide them with healthy habitat. They provide guidance and feedback to the Environmental Committee, meeting Bee City USA standards, and help plan and guide Pollinator Day/Week and other bee awareness, education, and healthy habitat protection.
Future Program Goals
- Celebrate National Pollinator Week with educational events, pollinator habitat plantings or restoration, proclamations or promotions that showcase the Town of Apex commitment to enhancing pollinator health and habitat
- Develop and implement a program to create or expand pollinator-friendly habitat, which can include, but is not limited to:
- Identification and inventory of Town of Apex real property that can be enhanced with pollinator-friendly plantings.
- Creation of a recommended locally native species list to include forbs, grasses, vines, shrubs.
- Creation of a least toxic integrated pesticide management plan, and
- Dissemination of informational and educational materials to the public.
- Tracking annual area of pollinator habitat created or enhanced by square footage and/or acreage.
- Kaitlin Hartman
- Michael Erana
- Heidi Deja
- Guy Loeffler
- Jennifer Springer
- Kim Rossi
Meetings are open to the general public. Our next meeting is on Wednesday, October 20, 6pm at The Halle Cultural Arts Center [237 N. Salem Street].
There are 6 members, appointed for 1-year terms. Appointments may be renewed up to six (6) consecutive years. All members must reside within either the Apex Town Limits or the Apex ETJ.
If you’re interested in serving on the Bee City, please complete this interest form. You will be contacted when a vacancy occurs.