History of the Halle

The Halle Cultural Arts Center was built as the Town of Apex Town Hall in 1912. The population of Apex was estimated at 700. Construction cost was $7,500.

It served many purposes. Outside the front door on the sidewalk was a hand operated pump well.
Halle Center Historic photograph taken from the 1900s
The first floor contained a farmers market offering seasonal fruits, vegetables, and fresh chickens. A firehouse and two jail cells were in the rear. A ticket office was near the front door.

Upstairs was the Mayor’s office and a theatre with opera style seating and large windows for ventilation (HVAC today!). It was a home for silent movies, dramas and musicals, as well as the Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources. It is located in the heart of the downtown Historic District and is perfect for exhibitions, musicals, dances, plays, receptions, meetings, fund raisers, and celebrations.