Prepare yourself for an emergency involving a tornado or strong downburst by keeping in mind and practicing the following guidelines.
- Buy a battery-powered weather radio and learn local emergency station.
- Learn what tornado conditions look like.
- Learn meaning of watch-warning.
- Identify shelter room (basement, storm cellar, interior room).
- Plan to secure/evacuate mobile home for adequate shelter.
- Know shelter locations in places you spend time.
- Remove branches, tall trees that may fall on house.
- Report any revolving funnel-shaped clouds to authorities.
- Listen to radio for weather alerts/emergency instructions.
- See shelter immediately in basement or interior room on lower level; take position under sturdy table.
- Stay away from windows, doors, outside walls; do not open windows.
- If not sheltered, lie flat in ditch with hands covering head.
- Avoid buildings with wide span roofs.
- If in vehicle, get out seek shelter in ditch.