By following the provided guidelines you will increase your chances of staying safe during a flood.
- Buy weather radio and learn local emergency station.
- Learn if your area is prone to floods.
- Learn meaning of a "flood watch" and a "flood warning".
- Have plywood to cover all windows.
- In flood zone, purchase flood insurance.
- Plan to secure/evacuate mobile home for adequate shelter.
- Listen to designated radio/television, and Emergency Alert System for emergency instructions.
- Stay away from flood water; do not attempt to swim, walk, or drive through.
- Secure/bring in outdoor furniture.
- If instructed, turn off utilities at main switches; unplug appliances (do not touch electrical equipment if wet).
- If deep water, allow to flow freely in basement (may avoid structural damage).
- Do not stack sandbags against outside of house, adds pressure.
- Avoid downed power lines
- Move valuables to upper floors.