Apex Electric Department is a community-owned utility, providing reliable, safe and high quality services focused on our customers.
Since 1917 Apex has owned and operated its own electric distribution system for service to customers within the town limits of Apex, parts of Cary and some rural areas.
- Engineering Design
- Discuss electrical needs with new and existing customers
- Produce design and construction documents for system upgrades and additions
- Construction scheduling and coordination of material purchase/delivery
- Dept. personnel construct and modify both overhead and underground electric distribution facilities
- Respond to underground utility location request prior to excavation
- Operations and Maintenance
- Electric system maintenance and upgrades to increase reliability of the distribution system
- Substation monitoring and testing
- Outage restoration
- Vegetation Management of overhead electric lines
- Solar @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Apex provides a premium level of service for customers by being "close to home." In the event of a storm or other problems, our linemen are nearby, ready to respond, and very knowledgeable of the system and how it operates.
The Electric Utilities Department has 37 employees.
Apex is affiliated with ElectriCities, a not-for-profit association of 99 members representing Public Power communities in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia that distribute electricity. Fifty-one of them are also participants in either North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 or North Carolina Eastern Municipal Power agency, which also generate the power supplied to over 400,000 customers.
ElectriCities is a support association providing information and training support to organization members. All policies and rates are adopted by the local elected body and Apex operates as an independent entity. Visit the ElectriCities website for additional information.
- Municipal Electric Safety Award - for No Time Lost (American Public Power Association 1997-2007)
- Reliable Public Power Provider - Gold (RP3) - (American Public Power Association 2007-2008)
- Public Power Award of Excellence - Energy Efficiency (2008 & 2009)
- Public Power Award of Excellence - Communications (2008 & 2009)
- Public Power Award of Excellence - Customer Service (2008 & 2009)
- Reliable Public Power Provider - Platinum (RP3) - American Public Power Association (2009-2010)
- Public Power Award of Excellence - Workforce Development (2019)
- Certificate of Excellence in Reliability - American Public Power Association (2019)
- Public Power Award of Excellence - Reliability (2019)
- Reliable Public Power Provider - Platinum (RP3) - American Public Power Association 2020-2022) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>