- Recycling Resources
Recycle Right at your home and business! All of the items you place in your curbside recycling don't magically disappear. They travel to the Sonoco Recycling Facility in Raleigh. Go on a virtual tour of the Facility and learn about what is and is not accepted on the Sonoco Education & Resources webpage. Hint: Don't bag your recyclables!!!
For more information about residential and commercial solid waste services, visit our Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste page.
Go Beyond Recycling!
Check out this Homeowner's Guide to Composting for information on how composting works, the benefits of composting, how to build/maintain a compost pile, and more!
Reduction & Recycling Information
Learn about how to join Free Recycling Programs for those hard-to-recycle items at TerraCycle.
Find store drop-off locations for plastic bags, wraps, and films that can't be recycled in your curbside recycling bins at How2Recycle.
Check out the Recycling Demystified Presentation! Thank you Wake County Environmental Services for this great presentation.
Search the Waste Wizard below, and instantly learn how to dispose of various items. This feature is available on our Residential Recycling page, or by downloading Apex Collects via the App Store or Google Play Store.
There are other disposal options for those materials not accepted in your recycling cart! Wake County multi-material sites are a resource for residents and businesses to dispose of unwanted materials. More information below, and on the Wake County website.
The North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources has additional information on the reduction and recycling of electronic waste.
Recycling Right at South Wake
6130 Old Smithfield Road, Apex, NC 27539
Open Monday - Saturday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Open to Wake County residents and businesses.
Learn more on their website
The South Wake Multi-Material Recycling facility offers:
- One trip for all waste and recycling materials.
A safe, secure, and efficient method of disposal.
Accepted Electronic Materials:
- Any corded electronic device
- Game Consoles
- Small appliances
- Audio/Video players
- Televisions (TVs)
How to Recycle Textiles
The average person throws away nearly 70 lbs. of clothing, shoes and accessories each year. By recycling these items, we can keep them out of the landfill and make them available to others who can use them.
- Recycle clothing. Wake County solid waste convenience centers will accept clothing in any condition for reuse. The closest site to Apex is located at 6120 Old Smithfield Rd.
- Pass clothing along to family or friends. Babies and children often outgrow clothes well before they are worn out.
- Donate clothing. Reputable charities and thrift stores accept and sell donated clothing to help fund their activities and achieve their charitable missions. Approximately 20 percent of donated clothes are sold at thrift locations. The remaining 80 percent is sold to recyclers.
- Repurpose clothing. This can be as simple as turning an old t-shirt into a cleaning rag.
- Buy recycled. Seek out and purchase clothing and accessories made from recycled materials.