The fiscal year 2016-17 budget was approved at the June 7, 2016 meeting of the Town Council. Here are the highlights:
- Total Budget: $102,637,126 (includes Water & Sewer and Electric Utilities funds)
- Tax Rate: $0.38 per $100 of valuation (While this rate is 1 cent lower than the current rate of $0.39, it is about 2 cents higher than the revenue neutral rate of $0.36. See pg 8 of budget document for more details)
- New estimated total tax base of $5,958,438,000.
- No increases in water, sewer, or electric utility rates.
- The monthly cost for residential garbage and recycling will decrease by $1.05 cents.
- The monthly cost for yard waste collection has not been adjusted since 2008, and will increase by $2.85.
- 17 new employee positions, including 3 Firefighters, a Traffic Engineering Analyst and 5 positions in the Police Department
- Merit pay budgeted at an average 3.75% increase, dependent on performance
- Adjustments to Development Fees that will help us keep pace with increased service costs
Street Resurfacing and Repair: $1,000,000
- Several areas in town, including Dogwood Acres, Pearson Farms, Perry Farms, and N. Salem (see Transportation Projects page for full list)
- Reconstructing tennis courts at Apex Elementary School
- Adding restroom facility to Salem Pond Park
- Design work for Beaver Creek and Middle Creek Greenways
- Fire Engine Replacement
- Yard Waste Vacuum truck replacement
- Patrol cars
- Vehicle replacements among several departments for vehicles with high mileage or under frequent repair
- Downtown water upgrades - improved water conservation and water quality
- Wester Pressure Zone, Phase 1 - decreases high water pressures in western part of town
- Commerce Street sewer upgrade - decreases maintenance improves reliability of sewer line